Sonora, CA — This is the last weekend to work on your defensible space as on Monday at 8 a.m. burn permits in Tuolumne and Calaveras counties will be suspended.
CAL Fire cites the wet winter and above average snow pack along with warming temperatures and winds that are quickly drying out the abundant grass crop and creating increasing fire danger.
“Last year was a devastating reminder that the public cannot let their guard down. Together, we must adapt and evolve to be able to withstand the intensity of these fires, keeping in mind, that the only way to mitigate the damage they cause is through preparation,” said Chief Thom Porter, CAL FIRE director. “The dry, hot weather that fueled the massive fires last year will return again this year, so it is up to the public to be ready.”
Since January 1st CAL FIRE and firefighters across the state have already responded to over 1,171 wildfires. While outdoor burning of debris will no longer be allowed, CAL Fire is asking residents to continue to maintain 100 feet of defensible space around homes.
“It is essential that residents remain prepared,” said Chief Josh White, Tuolumne-Calaveras Unit Chief. “While the suspension of residential debris burning is in effect, I encourage property owners to use alternative disposal methods.”
This order does not apply to campfires on campgrounds or private property as long as they are maintained to prevent the flames spreading to wildland, according to CAL Fire. Permits can be obtained by clicking here.
CAL Fire offers these tips for maintaining defensible space during the fire season:
Clear all dead and or dying vegetation 100 feet from around all structures.
Landscape with fire resistant plants and non-flammable ground cover.
Find alternative ways to dispose of landscape debris like chipping or hauling it to a biomass energy or green waste facility
by – MyMotherLode