Here is what you need to know about the Bake Off 2019 amateur who is hoping to finally get a Paul Hollywood handshake!
Who is The Great British Bake Off 2019 contestant Henry?
Henry Bird is one of the youngest contestants to take part in The Great British Bake Off 2019 at 20 years old.
He is a student from Durham, who has loved baking since the age of 12, when the Bake Off tent pitched up in his local park.
The Bake Off contestant tested his creations on his family, friends and teachers growing up but now brings his experiments to students at Durham University.
Henry is currently studying English Literature at the university and is known for his elegant culinary skills.
He posts his creative bakes on Instagram here.
What has happened to Henry in Bake Off so far?
- Week One, Cakes – Henry came top in the Technical Challenge with his layered angel cakes but only just averted disaster in his Showstopper when his delicate royal icing house broke.
- Week Two, Biscuits – While he was dressed to impress in a tie, Henry bit off more than he could chew with his Coffee, Cardamom and Hazelnut biscuit bars. And he also failed to wow the judges with his Chapel Organ biscuit sculpture despite it’s “great” flavour.
- Week Three, Bread – His Chicken and Pesto tear and share loaf and herb garden scored bread didn’t wow the crowd in Bread Week but he was the winner of the Soft Baps and burger technical challenge.
- Week Four, Dairy – Henry started strong with Paul praising his Spiced Apple yogurt cake covered in apple crisps and cinnamon streudel but things went wrong when it came to the Indian Milk Sweets Showstopper. Henry’s attempt to get creative ended with him serving melted ice cream that was a real dud.
- Week Five, The Roaring Twenties – The judges weren’t loving Henry’s Lemon and Lime custard tarts with raspberry curd topping but he had better luck with his White Russian inspired cake complete with hazelnut praline filling and coffee buttercream and he was third in the Technical.
- Week Six, Dessert Week – Henry’s Towering Meringue Cake was the best Signature dish receiving the most praise from the judges. His Bonfire Bombe Showstopper was at first called “simple and elegant” but then called “disappointing”.
What has Henry said about The Great British Bake Off 2019?
The student has admired Bake Off from a distance since series two and had been eager to get inside.
He enthused: “I have wanted to get into the tent since series two.
“They filmed it at the end of my road, so I used to see Paul Hollywood when I walked past the tent to go to school in the mornings, so I really got into it.
“To be inside the actual tent was totally wonderful.”
Of his first day of filming, he added: “I told Paul that I remembered him filming at Valentine’s for series two and we had a chat about that and shared our memories of that time.
“So he knew I had come full circle and was now in the tent, and that was pretty special.”
Latest on The Great British Bake Off
COOKING THE BOOKS
Meet Bake Off 2019’s Henry – English Lit student who made a biscuit organ
PIECE OF CAKE
Meet Bake Off 2019’s David – health adviser who got a Hollywood handshake
BAKE TO SCHOOL
Meet Bake Off 2019’s Alice – teacher who won Star Baker in Biscuit Week
Your GBBO questions answered from why they wear the same clothes to auditioning
MIX WITH THE BEST
Back your baking skills? How to apply for The Great British Bake Off 2020
BAKE IT OFF
The Great British Bake Off continues tonight – here’s what to expect
When is The Great British Bake Off next on?
The Great British Bake Off is back on TONIGHT (October 8).
You can catch the action on Channel 4 at 8pm.
Bake Off is expected to run for 10 consecutive weeks and the final is likely to be in November 2019.
by – TheSun TV and Showbiz