- The helicopter sex position involves positioning your bodies in a kind of “backward leapfrog.”
- It allows for a unique angle of entry and stimulates the sensitive head of the penis.
- Because the helicopter is challenging, you can also try a lying-down version that may be easier.
- Visit Insider’s Health Reference library for more advice.
You may think you’ve done it all when it comes to sex positions – but have you ever tried the helicopter?
This position is not for the faint of heart, and it requires the penetrating partner to have some pretty significant upper body strength. So, if you’re looking for an athletic and wild sex position to try, look no further.
Here’s how to do the helicopter position and how to get the most pleasure out of it.
How to do the helicopter position
Getting into the helicopter position can be difficult, so practice and patience are key.
You might even want to try it with clothes on first to get a feel for how your bodies will need to operate, getting your form right without worrying about penetration yet, says Emily Morse, Doctor of Human Sexuality and host of the Sex With Emily podcast.
To get into the helicopter position, follow these steps:
- The partner being penetrated gets onto their hands and knees and then lowers down to their elbows.
- The penetrating partner gets next to the receiving partner, with hips aligned, either on the left or right side, with their head facing towards their partner’s feet.
- With their hands on the ground away from their partner’s feet, the penetrating partner lifts their legs over their partner’s butt to insert their penis or strap-on into their partner’s vagina or anus, while their legs stay up in the air.
In this position, the penetrating partner will be resting their pelvis on the receiving partner’s butt, and their arms will be in a push-up position, holding up their body weight.
“Imagine a backwards leapfrog, with the inserting partner’s stomach facing down,” says Morse.
This position is mentally stimulating since it’s new, exciting, and challenging, and it’s great if you and your partner want to step outside your comfort zone to try something a little bit crazy.
“Given the acrobatic demands of this position, I would say it feels good because it’s adventurous. Sex is all about play, and this one definitely feels experimental,” says Morse.
Physically, Morse says this position may feel extra good for a penetrating partner with a penis. “Because of the downward angle of insertion, those with a penis could experience more sensitivity on the head, even if they aren’t able to penetrate as deep,” says Morse.
Tips for maximizing pleasure during the helicopter position
Of course, you should want sex to feel as great as possible for you and your partner(s). Here are four tips to follow to maximize pleasure when you’re in the helicopter position:
- Go slow: Since this position is both unusual and advanced, it’s important to start slow to ensure you don’t hurt yourself or your partner. In particular, an erect penis will naturally point up, not down, so if you push it down too quickly, it can strain the suspensory ligaments that support the penis when erect, says Morse.
- Use lube: Using lube can help make thrusting easier, Morse says. Additionally, if the partner being penetrated has a vagina, lube can help ensure adequate lubrication and prevent irritation and pain during sex. If you decide to engage in anal sex in the helicopter position, lube is non-negotiable, since the anus is not self-lubricating.
- Warm-up first: The helicopter is not exactly a position ideal for diving right into sex. Instead, Morse recommends warming up with other sex positions that can naturally stretch the supporting ligaments of the penis, such as reverse cowgirl. You can also start with an easier variation of the helicopter, called the lying down helicopter (see how-to steps below).
- Add in clitoral stimulation: If the partner being penetrated has a clitoris, Morse says they can amp up the pleasure by using a free hand to stimulate their clitoris, or use a sex toy like a small vibrator.
With a position this advanced, variations are necessary for those who may not have the strength or flexibility yet to perform the traditional version.
Here are a couple of options Morse recommends before diving right into the helicopter, or as alternatives if the standard position isn’t working out for you.
Lying down helicopter
This variation allows for the same unique angle of entry as traditional helicopter, but requires less strength and acrobatics. Follow these steps to get into it:
- The partner being penetrated lies down on their stomach with their legs spread and butt tilted upwards, to make insertion of a penis or strap-on easier.
- The penetrating partner lies stomach down on top of their partner, with their head facing towards their partner’s feet.
- The penetrating partner bends their penis or strap-on back and downwards to penetrate the vagina or anus.
While this isn’t an official helicopter variation, Morse says it’s a nice precursor to the helicopter, and it still involves unconventional penetration. Follow these steps to get into it:
- The penetrating partner lies on their back towards the bottom of the bed, with their knees bent and shins hanging off the edge of the bed.
- The partner being penetrated gets on top of their partner, stomach down, facing their partner’s feet, with their legs on either side of their partner’s torso, and their pelvises aligned. They can prop themselves up with their hands on their partner’s thighs or on the bed.
- The penetrating partner’s penis or strap-on may need to be bent downwards in order to penetrate.
The helicopter is tricky, but it can be fun and pleasurable. Regardless, trying out this position will likely be a sexual experience you’ll never forget.
If the helicopter position isn’t working out for you and your partner, don’t sweat it — this isn’t an easy one. Instead of focusing on trying to get into it, just focus on pleasuring your partner and yourself in other ways.
Remember: just because a sex position is advanced, it doesn’t always mean it’s the best.